Druckansicht der Internetadresse:


Environment, Climate Change and Health (M.Sc.)

Print page


General information

When does the programme start?Hide

Our programme can be started exclusively in the winter semester (mid of October) beginning from the winter semester 2022/23. The exact date will be in your admission letter.

The official start of the winter semester 2022/23 is 1 October, 2022. Lectures will start on 17 October, 2022.

Where will the master's programme Environment, Climate Change and Health be taught?Hide

The programme will mainly be taught at the campus in Bayreuth. Spares lecture (e.g. Global Health Policy, Food, Climate and Health Communication and Global Political Economy of Food and Nutrition) will be taught in the newly founded Faculty of Life Science, located in Kulmbach.

Regarding the current situation with COVID-19, will the assessment and enrolment proceed as planned?Hide

For the moment, we assume that all assessment, the later enrolment, and the start of the winter semester will proceed as planned. We will keep you updated on any changes. Further information and updates on the current situation for students and staff of the University of Bayreuth can be found here.

Are there any tuition fees for this programme?Hide

There are no tuition fees. However, in Germany, students at all higher education institutions must pay a semester contribution. This payment (at the University of Bayreuth about 110 € per semester) has nothing to do with tuition fees; it rather covers your contributions to student services and the student government. At the University of Bayreuth, it includes a "semester ticket" that allows you to use public transport in the region and entitles you to eat at reduced prices at the university canteen.

Where can I find information about typical study contents and job perspectives?Hide

Please look here.

Are there compulsory internships?Hide

No pre-study internship is required for admission to the master's programme.
A compulsory internship is integrated into the curriculum of the study programme: it comprises 3-month (= 10 ECTS points). For more information, please look here.

Admission requirements

Do I need to speak German to attend this programme?Hide

All courses are taught exclusively in English. In addition to your knowledge of English (level B2, for a good final degree, level C1 is recommended), you must also prove your knowledge of German for daily life (level A1). If you have no knowledge of Germn at the time of your apllication, you have the option of turning this in by the end of the 2nd semester. German courses are offered at the University of Bayreuth's Language Centre.

What type of bachelor degree is required for application?Hide

List of possible bachelor's programmes (depending on their profile):

  • Natural Sciences
  • Health Sciences
  • (Health) Economics
  • Social Sciences
  • Politics
  • Medicine
  • Public Health
  • Nursing/Care

The bachelor degree should reflect at least lectures comprising 30 ECTS-points within health and/or natural science, preferably (human-)biology, (bio-)chemistry and geosciences.

I am just finishing my degree and do not have the certificate yet. What should I do?Hide

Applicants must hold an official transcript of records (including subjects and grades) showing that they have completed at least 150 ECTS credits. If you can obtain a confirmation of your university that you have completed your coursework and are waiting for your certificate, you may also submit this as additional document. The bachelor certificate has to be handed in at latest at the end of the first semester.

How many ECTS points are required for application?Hide

Applicants must hold an official transcript of records (including subjects and grades) showing that they have completed at least 150 ECTS credits.


Do I have to apply online?Hide

Yes, please use the following link. A submission of printed (certified) copies by mail is not necessary.

Do I have to apply via uni-assist?Hide

Applicants from outside the EU who have obtained their degree abroad have to upload their application documents via uni-assist and undergo a fee-based special procedure. You can find the relevant information here.

In the following cases, an application via uni-assist is not necessary:

  • you have a German, EU, EFA or Swiss citizenship
  • you are already enrolled as a student at the University of Bayreuth
  • you already have obtained your entrance qualification for master's programmes (usually your first degree) at an accredited university in Germany
Can I send my application by e-mail or mail?Hide

We are sorry, but we can only accept applications through our online portal which is open for the registration for the winter semester beginning from April 15, 2022 to July 15, 2022 (for foreign, not EU-citizen).

If I send an e-mail containing my CV, transcript of records, etc. could you please tell me my chances in getting admitted? Hide

We are sorry, but we cannot do any pre-evaluation. Please check out carefully the entry requirements listed at our webpage. If you think, you fulfill all requiremtns and would like to be admitted to our programme, please submit all required documents exclusively through our online portal. E-mail attachments cannot be considered for evaluation.

Could you help me with my application in CAMPUSonline?Hide

A brief application guid can be found here. For all other technical problems (unusual error messages, page cannot be loaded, etc.) with CAMPUSonline, please contact the CAMPUSonline team.

I cannot submit all required documents in time. Can I nevertheless apply for your programme?Hide

All documents except for the Bachelor certificate need to be submitted before the application deadline (July 15 for non-EU-citizen). In case you have not received your Bachelor certificate yet, you can submit an official transcript of records (including subjects and grades) showing that you have completed at least 150 ECTS credits.

I have applied through the online portal. What is the next step?Hide

After we receive your application, your application documents will be checked for registration. This includes an formal and contentual validation by our selection commitee. Certain applicants with a definite bachelor degree of the University of Bayreuth (e.g. B.Sc. Biology, B.Sc. Geo-Ecology, B.Sc. Health Economics, B.Sc. Envrionmental and Resource Technology etc.) may not need the contentual validation.

What proof of English language skills is required?Hide

English skills must be proven at the level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Ideally, proof is provided by submitting a recognised language test following the exemplaric criteria below:

  • TOEFL: 90 point (= level B2+)
  • IELTS "Academic": 6.5 (= level B2+)
  • Cambridge-Certificate: First Certificate in English (FCE)

However, for a good finale degree, level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages is recommended (TOEFL: 95 point, IELTS "Academic": 7.0, Cambridge-Certificate: Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)).

If your first study programme or your high school degree was completed in English, an official certificate of your university is also a sufficient evidence. For applicants with the German Abitur: The language level B2/B2+ or better is accepted as proof of your English language skills.

I have already completed a master's degree. Should I submit the master's certificate as well?Hide

It is not mandatory to submit the master's certificate. However, we strongly recommend enclosing it, as it represents a valuable piece of information and might prove the information about your master's study in your CV.​

Information for newly admitted students

Where can I find information about the visa application procedure?Hide

Click here to find detailed information about visa requirements for your country and tips of applying for a visa.

Where can I find an accomodation?Hide

Since mainly all lectures will take place at the campus in Bayreuth, we recommend to look for an accomodation in Bayreuth. Please check out the following information. (Furnished) rooms are also offered on the private housing market.

Until when can I enrol at the University of Bayreuth?Hide

The enrolment deadline is 29 September, 2022 but we recommend to enrol as quickly as possible as you need access to the online services and classes before the start of the lectures (17 October, 2022).

Webmaster: Univ. Prof. Dr. Dr. Eckhard Nagel

Facebook Twitter Youtube-Kanal Instagram LinkedIn Blog UBT-A Contact